Sunday, May 15, 2005

Sin City and "Ohhh Aflie!!"

Sin City was really really cool. It was literally a comic book, come to life. Amazing visuals. Just so creative and artistic. I adored it. Sure, the storyline was a little weak, but the special effects more than made up for it. Oh, it's really, really violent as well. (After all, it is a Rodriguez/Tarantino flick.) So if you're sensitive to that kind of stuff - stay away. But if you like overly stylized films, make sure you see it before it leaves theaters.

I also rented Alfie (The Jude Law version) and watched it in the afternoon. All I can say is - how is it possible for one man to look sooo good? Jude Law is my ultimate guy. There is absolutely no one in the universe who outranks him in the looks and charm department. Then again, I've never been one of those girls who goes for guys who are really muscular and masculine. I hate Alpha heroes. As those of you who know me in real life can vouch for, I've always been a sucker for a well dressed, lanky, English "pretty boy" who is intelligent and charming. (And hopefully not gay!) I think it all stems back to my early obsession with David Bowie...

Marianne

10 comments:

Gena Showalter said...

I think Jude is totally lickable! Just yum!!!

Anonymous said...

Jude is definitely beautiful :) I prefer the dark, masculine, alpha heros myself but there is no denying his charms :)

Anonymous said...

I'll take a Clive Owen over a Jude Law any day. Jude just doesn't have that sense of danger and intensity. ('Course, that doesn't mean I wouldn't lick him.)

Marley Gibson said...

Actually, I wouldn't kick Clive or Jude out of my bed for eating crackers. (giggle) I saw "Alfie" when it first came out in the theatres and was horrified that it didn't do better or that Jude didn't get nominated for some awards. Seems like most Americans can't deal with a British hero who's not Hugh Grant. (sigh)

Mari Mancusi said...

Ewhh! I can't STAND Hugh Grant. He's too stammery and unsure of himself. While I do like the pretty boys, I like them to be confident and swaggering. ;-)

Yes, Gena, Jude is totally lickable. As is Ewan McGregor. And David Bowie. And Simon Le Bon. Sigh...so many lickable Brits, so little time...

Clive Owen does nothing for me. He's all yours, Liz. Have at 'em.

Anonymous said...

David Bowie, Jude Law, Clive Owen, Pierce Bronson, Gerald Butler, Christian Bale...I mean, seriously. All the guys from that side of the pond have this...masculinity that I don't see as much in American actors anymore. You know? So many guys nowadays qualify as boys, but not men.

ParkAvePirate said...

Since we are on the topic of dishy British men...I am so glad someone mentioned sexy Simon Le Bon, he's one of my favorites!!! I also just swooned over Hugh Dancy in my niece's movie Ella Enchanted.

Mari Mancusi said...

Oooh I forgot about Christian Bale, Marjorie! Majorly lickable!! Can't wait to see him as (insert dreamy sigh) Batman.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

I adore British alpha males like Clive Owen or Sean Bean. While Jude is adorable, as is Orlando Bloom, I always get the feeling that I could break them in half. I would just feel fat next to them.

Anonymous said...

I was really desperate to think of something funny to say...but I'll just stick with this. I'm an English male (not British, there's a difference). And you lot make me smile.

-mark