Thursday, May 19, 2005

Life, the Universe, and First Celebrity Crushes

Hey all,

Still on the Girlfriend Cyber Circuit virtual booktour. Check me out on Alison Pace's (If Andy Warhol had a Girlfriend) blog, Johanna Edward's (The Next Big Thing) blog, and I believe later today Joshilyn Jackson's (gods in Alabama) blog.

All this touring, without ever leaving my seat. Nice. If any 0f you found me from their sites - welcome! Thanks for stopping by! If you have any questions/comments about CT Fashionista, life in general, or 80s song lyrics, feel free to post them in the comments section. :-)

So are any of you Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fans? Remember how I said I wanted to see that movie? Well, someone just told me yesterday that they turned it into a LOVE STORY!? Huh? What was Hollywood thinking? That's just wrong. I'm no longer interested in seeing it. Such a disapointment.

Keeping on the movie note, anyone see Star Wars at midnight last night? Not me. I'm waiting to see if it comes out at the Omni IMAX theater. I saw Episode 2 there on the huge screen with the killer sound system. It made up for the bad acting and stupid plot. Well, sort of. Okay, not really. But isn't Hayden Christensen kind of hot?




I loved all your 80s movie comments yesterday, btw. So many good ones. I also got an email yesterday from a 16 year old named Abby (hi Abby!) who says this:


P.S.- Favorite movie of the '80s is definitely The Breakfast Club.

And yes, I realize that I wasn't born until '88, and that the only movies I actually watched in the '80s were those that included Big Bird or Barney. But I watched Breakfast Club for my sociology class last year, and it's definitely a keeper.

People are watching Breakfast Club as part of a Sociology class? That's sooo very cool! Thanks for sharing that, Abby!!

Okay here's the new question of the day:

Who was your first celebrity crush?

Mine was Mark Hamill, aka Luke Skywalker. I never realized this was unusual, but now that I'm an adult, I've realized that most people saw Han Solo as the sexy one. Me, I loved Mark. Okay, he didn't age well, I understand. But come on - in that black suit in Return of the Jedi... This is what 9 year old fantasies are made of!!




Andrew McCarthy and Simon LeBon come in a close second and third.

So who was your first celebrity crush? Come on - dish!
Marianne

9 comments:

Diana Peterfreund said...

Han Solo, all the way, baby. Not even an option. Not even a choice.

I honestly believed I was Princess Leia. I wore my hair like her. I had a brother named Luke. I was a really good shot with a laser gun...

If I was held down at gunpont and forced to admit that Harrison Ford was too old for me, I'll say I also had a soft spot for Elliot from E.T. Because, you know, I was 4.

ParkAvePirate said...

You are lucky you got a warning about "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". I loved the book and went to see the movie - what a Hollywood piece of fluff (and I love fluff). Don't get me wrong, it was entertaining but not even in the same category as the book.
Hmm...my first celebrity crush was Chad Allen and then Jonathan Brandis. I will admit that I did have the pre-teen hots for Simon Le Bon. When I saw him in concert last month he still has it going on. That's like an 18 years long crush. I am nothing if not committed!
Jen

Shanna Swendson said...

I was totally in love with Luke in Empire Strikes Back. That grey uniform. Sigh. It made his eyes look bluer. Plus, he was pretty buff in those training scenes. Mark Hamill may not have aged well, but he's incredibly funny (did you see him when he guest starred on Just Shoot Me and managed to upstage David Spade?), which still makes him sexy in my book.

And for what it's worth, I loved the film version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I'm one of those annoying people who can just about quote the book verbatim. The love story in the movie was kind of essential for providing plot arc and character motivation, which, let's face it, were not exactly strength of the book. The book was not about plot, but that's something a movie needs.

Anonymous said...

Put me in the Han Solo category. As for first celebrity crushes, it has to be Christopher Reeve in Superman for me.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Okay, I hate to admit this, and this shows just how old I am, but apparently Bob Barker was my first celebrity crush when I was about 4. Actually my Mom told me that when I was a toddler whenever Jim Jensen, the CBS newscaster was on, I would plop down wherever I was to listen. Then I moved on to Donny Osmond and his purple socks. And then Mark Hamill in the first Star Wars movie before the car accident that changed his looks in Empire Strikes Back. Also, Timothy Dalton.

Deblyn98 said...

Sean Cassidy! I must have been about 4 years old and scared of the dark. My parents taped a picture of Sean Cassidy at eye levl on the wall directly across from my bed and I fell asleep with him watching over me! The Doo Run Run Run, The Doo Run, Run!

Alyssa Day said...

Hans Solo, totally! Hence, my early fascination with scoundrels! [Now I'm married to a dark-haired, dark-eyed flyboy. Hmmm . . .] And, okay, The Breakfast Club in Sociology class? Hello, does that make anybody else feel old suddenly???
Alesia, who should be packing

Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Luke. Definitely Luke! And, I too thought I was Princess Leia... we played Star Wars on the playground in 5th grade and fought over the boys. First celebrity crush--(blush) John Denver! I also adored Scott Baio, Jimmy McNichol, Sean Cassidy and Matt Dillon

Keris Stainton said...

Bruce Boxleitner in How The West Was Won. Sigh.