Monday, May 23, 2005

The Camelot Code & Bad Reviews

I finished writing Boys that Bite earlier this month and have been taking a bit of a break on the whole writing thing, which is good actually - to refresh my batteries, etc. But it's also bad in a way cause well, I've got a lot of books to write. So I'm pleased to say this AM I got inspired to write the first thousand words of The Camelot Code, which is a Dorchester Smooch book. It's a time travel, like CT Fashionista, though very different in character and plot. Here's a blurb:

The Camelot Code
When fifteen year old computer whiz and gamer grrl Sophie Sawyer hacks into a website to cheat on a school project, she finds a strange code that whisks her back to the days of Camelot ? to a time where the legendary King Arthur is about the pull the sword from the stone. But what happens when Merlin suggests Arthur, the once and future king, return with her to experience the future firsthand? How is Sophie going to explain to her parents why she has a knight in shining armor living in her bedroom? And what happens when Arthur refuses to go back to Camelot to fulfill his destiny, because he?s now dating the high school?s head cheerleader?

I know it's going to be a lot of fun to write. I really enjoy writing YA books.

In other news, I got a SCATHING Amazon review last night. Major ouch.

Truly Terrible, May 23, 2005
Reviewer:M. Geyser "VBVA" (honolulu, hi United States) - See all my reviews

Kat is one totally annoying chick and Lancey was whipped, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I had looked forward to this book very much, a big waste of paper and ink. I couldn't suffer much more beyond the 1st chapter.

Now, I was kind of sad at first to read this. I mean I love my hero Lancelot. And I think he has lots of redeeming qualities. He may be chivalrous and loyal and dedicated to a fault, but he's so not whipped. (Then again, probably hard to tell by only reading the first chapter- since he's in it for all of about 3 pages)

But then I looked at her other reviews - to see what she DOES like. Turns out she's a big fan of the Super Soaker Cps 2100. I felt a little better. **grin**

Anyway - hope you guys don't mind me poking fun at my reviewers. I feel that a truly bad review loses its devastating power when shared and put in perspective. And besides, I'm trying to journal the whole publishing process here in this blog. So that's good and bad. And my last justification is this: they put their opinions out there on the Internet for everyone to see. I have the same right to do so.

Honestly, I don't mind when people write what they honestly feel about a book. I get the fact that not everyone will love my writing style. But at the same time, I have to figure out a way to blow these reviews off in my mind so I don't sit and sulk about them. :-) What I always tell myself is that some of my favorite authors get the same kind of hot or cold reviews. People either love them or hate them - but at least they feel strongly about their work. Never a "meh" reaction.

So I don't end on a negative note, here's a very positive review I just got over at B&N.

A reviewer, May 20, 2005, A GREAT READ
I am normally very picky about my time travel romances i buy but i am proud to have spent my hard earned money on this one. Kat is funny, sarcastic, and independent, and the love story in it is beautiful. Hope there will be a sequel soon.

So there you go. You can choose which one you agree with. :-) BTW if anyone has read CT Fash and liked it and has a few extra minutes, I'd love for you to go over and write an Amazon review for me today. I hate having the bad reviews up at the top...

Thanks for listening to me blab. Got to get ready for work now... This whole "writing my new book"business is cutting into my blogging time. LOL.

Marianne

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Camelot Code sounds fun :) As for hideous reviews on Amazon...it seems to be a right of passage for most authors. It's one thing to express an honest opinion but it's another thing entirely to flame somebody. I guess some people just live for that.

TJ Brown said...

I just don't read mine... of course, mine are for nonfiction and I think that is different. "It wasn't useful" is far different than, "It sucked butt!"
Teri
:)

Keris Stainton said...

The Camelot Code sounds great - looking forward to it.

Unknown said...

That reviewer has no honor whatsoever. If they couldn't read past chapter 1, then obviously they had no way of watching the characters development. I read it and I absolutely loved it. It was fabulous!!! And I'll be waiting for THE CAMELOT CODE, as well as BOYS THAT BITE

thewriterslife said...

Hi Marianne...love your blog! I LOVE the premise of your new blog...only wish I had thought of it sooner...heh. Don't worry about bad reviews..only generates interest which generates sales if you approach them just like you're doing in this blog. And...just because of that...Fashionistas is going on my Amazon list which is going off tomorrow!

Larissa Ione said...

Excellent review! (The second one *g*)

And great attitude on the first. Shrug it off. Sometimes bad reviews actually help sell books, so look at it that way! ;)

Gabrielle said...

Well. You're taking it very well. I'm all for loading up a SuperSoaker and heading out to Hawaii myself ;-)

Anonymous said...

I've had someone give me a bad review based on the fact she didn't like the cover. I'm not sure they read much beyond that ;)

I try not to read the reviews.

By the way, I did some sleuthing...Connecticut Fashionista had a nice buy at B&N in Denver (or whatever suburb I was in). I'd say I saw at least five copies on a featured section of the romance shelves, face out. And I've seen it in every bookstore I've gone into in the Denver area.

Gena Showalter said...

I've gotten terrible reviews before, so I feel your pain. For everyone that hates it, someone else will love it. And I happen to think your book rocks!