Here are two segments I produced that aired this week on Better TV. They're both with DailyCandy.com editor Dannielle Romano and talk about home spa products you can make at home. Recipes listed below the videos in case you want to try them yourselves. :)
Tropical Honey Facial
1/3 cup honey
1 ripe papaya, peeled and seedless
1 tablespoon chamomile tea
1. (Steep a teabag for 5 minutes.)
2. Mix honey, papaya and banana.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of the tea, mix well.
4. Apply to skin in circular motions.
5. Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Rinse with lukewarm water, then finish with a cool rinse.
Gold Silk Body Butter
½ cup honey
2/3 cup Shea butter (can substitute cocoa butter if Shea is unavailable)
3 tablespoons wheat germ oil
2 teaspoons grapefruit seed extract (optional)
3 drops sandalwood oil (optional)
23-karat gold sheets (available online and in specialty food shops)
1. (If you’re using cocoa butter instead of Shea butter, soften it in a double boiler first.)
2. Blend honey, Shea butter and wheat germ oil until completely mixed.
3. Add grapefruit seed extract and sandalwood oil
4. Crush 2 sheets of gold until it’s almost powderlike. Add to the mixture.
5. Smooth onto dry skin and allow the skin to absorb it!
Golden Honey Body Polish
½ cup honey
½ cup Epsom salts
2/3 cup grapeseed oil
1. Mix honey, Epsom salts and grapeseed oil.
2. Apply in shower to wet skin, especially rough areas like elbows, knees and the soles of feet.
3. Rinse well.