Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tokyo Night Two: The Vampire Cafe

Of course me being little gothy me, when I found out there was a vampire cafe in Tokyo, I had to go!! The problem was, it wasn't a touristy place and so it was a bit difficult to make it happen. First, I had to have our Ryoken host make the reservation for me as all of the website was in kanji. Luckily, they had a prix fixe meal plan so we didn't have to choose what we wanted to eat. Then there was getting there. It was in the Ginza section of town, but there was no English directions on how to get there by subway. No street address either! (The way they address places here is really confusing and it seems the whole city has no idea how to get anywhere.) We decided to take a cab and even the cab driver, after a long discussion with our Ryoken host, still had a hard time finding it. Oh and it was pouring rain, to make matters worse!

But we finally made it! We went up the escalator and entered dracula's chamber. It was really cool inside - all dark and red. They sat you down in a private booth and pulled red velvet curtains closed to seal you in. Then they'd bring you the courses -- almost all of them had some kind of vampire theme. (A lot were shellfish, which I can't eat, but there was enough other stuff that I didn't starve.) The waiters were all dressed as gothic butlers and the waitresses as French maids. It was a LONG dinner - over 2 hours and we were a bit tired and ansy by the end, but all in all it was a cool experience. I wish they had one in NYC. I think it'd be popular.

Anyway, a few pictures below! More if you click one of them and go to Flickr.

Vamire Cafe

Vampire Cafe

Vampire Cafe

Liz Japan 031

Vampire Cafe

Vampire Cafe

Vampire Cafe

Vampire Cafe

Vampire Cafe

Vampire Cafe
Liz eating pasta with chopsticks!

Vampire Cafe
Dracula Dessert!! :)

Vampire Cafe
Me holding up the Japanese version of Boys that Bite!

6 comments:

Stevi said...

What a cool looking place! I love the decor. :) What is the cross made of that is on one of the plates? Is it sauce? I am not sure since it seems somewhat solid. Looks kind of...different. LOL!

Mari Mancusi said...

haha we weren't sure about the sauce either!! I think maybe some kind of shimp cocktail sauce? Maybe? Or Ketchup?

Leanna Renee Hieber said...

I WANT TO GO THERE NOW!

Anonymous said...

That is just SOOO cheesy.

I really want to go!

Anonymous said...

OMG HELL YA!!!! I WANNA GO! IM MAD I CANT! :(

Anonymous said...

I love vampires and I would so love to go there. you know what I just might have to take a trip soon. I love it!!