Thursday, June 12, 2008

Graveyards and Gawker

Yesterday we explored an old, untouristy section of Tokyo called Yakana. It had a very old graveyard, lots of temples and shrines and a very traditional market. Being a goth girl, I love cemetaries so I had to take a little video:


Untitled from Marianne Mancusi on Vimeo.

Here are a few other pics from the day:

Yakana area cemetary

Yakana area cemetary

Yakana area temple
The SUV here kind of ruins the aesthetic..

Yakana area temple

Yakana area temple

Drinking Den
This is a drinking den and Japan's last wooden roofed arcades.



Yum
Liz trying more traditional food. This was like fried mash potatoes so I had to get one, too!!

Texas Steak House
And I found a Texas steakhouse! Note, they proclaim it's "BIG"! (Cause everything's bigger in Texas, right?)

Texas Steak House 4
Though I'm not sure the menu is ENTIRELY authentic... :)

Last night we went to the New York Bar in the Park Hyatt in Shinjuku. Talk about a juxtaposition of the daytime stuff. Pics of that adventure to come later. Today we have to head out to Tokyo Disneyland!

Oh and don't forget - for Liz's perspective on our adventures go to the Rebels of Romance site as well. She's much funnier than me - you won't be disapointed! ;-)

And lastly, in non-Japan news, my book cover made Gawker today!! And someone made a negative comment about my title! That makes me practically Julia Allison! Yay! :) (Those of you who don't live in NYC have no idea what I'm talking about, but that's okay.)

Marianne

1 comment:

Leanna Renee Hieber said...

Want to go to Graveyard! The steakhouse I could do without. :)