Friday, September 12, 2008

My Day at Fashion Week

Yesterday was quite an amazing day. I got to experience NYC's legendary Fashion Week through the eyes of an insider. Someone who gets invited to all the shows, is given front row seats, throws parties for the designers, etc. Now you'd think that type of person would be snobby beyond belief, but Mina Jacqueline Au is a doll. She is so sweet and treated me and my cameraman like we were her friends instead just some annoying TV crew. You don't often get that level of genuineness from this world - she's a rare breed.

Anyway, we started the day at around 11:30, heading up to Vallery Joseph Salon on the Upper East Side (79 and Madison) to meet up with Mina, who was getting hair and makeup done.


Mina Jacqueline Au getting ready for the day

Then we hopped in a car service and headed down to Bryant Park for the Rebecca Taylor show. Mina's good friends with Rebecca so we were able to slip in backstage, where there was much media madness.

Photogs backstage at Rebecca Taylor Show

Mina Jacqueline Au doing step and repeat

Rebecca Taylor

Then we went to be seated. They let me have front row. I felt like a celeb. AND I got a great view of the show.

Me at Rebecca Taylor Show

The pre-show crowd was madness, too! Everyone searching for a seat and trying to pinpoint the celebs.

Pre-Rebecca Taylor Show Madness

Here's a random celeb spotting. Anyone know who this is?

Celeb

Everyone took a seat and the show started. I love Rebecca Taylor's stuff. The dresses are so gorgeous. Pretty colors and fabrics. I wanted them ALL. :) When I interviewed her later, she said she found her inspiration from the Out of Africa author.

Rebecca Taylor Show

Rebecca Taylor Show

Rebecca Taylor Show

Booties are IN this fall, people. And all the models in the show were wearing them.

Rebecca Taylor Show

This was my favorite dress of the collection. I love the color and the sparkles. I really would love to own it.

Rebecca Taylor Show

By the way, models in real life? Almost freakish. They're not only skinny, but they're Amazonian tall. I guess I already knew this, but it was a little different seeing it in person on a runway. After the show I saw some of them walking off to smoke cigaretes. Of course.

Outside the show we saw this guy. I think he was also a celeb or designer. Anyone know? He said his kilt was Gaultier. Of course it was!



After the show we went over to this delicious restaurant called Artisinal at Park and Madison. They specialize in cheeses. After seeing those skinny models, I decided to eat some mac and cheese in their honor!!

Mina threw a post-show cocktail party for Rebecca Taylor there. Anisha Lahkani, author of the book Schooled and Jill Fairchild, "What to Wear" publisher (and daughter of W Magazine founder and fashion world legend John Fairchild) were co-hosts. Wine, cheese and fondue. Delicious! Rashida Jones from The Office was there, as was Ramona, one of the "Real Housewives of New York."

Rebecca Taylor and Mina Jacqueline Au

It's a tough job, I know. But someone has to do it!

Yes, I love my job

After the cocktail party, Mina and I got changed for the nighttime show and party.

Marianne Mancusi and Mina Jacqueline Au

She had a room at the Shoreham hotel in the Penthouse. It was an amazing hotel room with a glowy sink! I want!

Glowy sink at the Shoreham

I wore my Betsy Johnson dress, which I must admit I bought at Buffalo Exchange in Williamsburg. I'm poor! But I LOVE this dress all the same.

Me in Betsy Johnson

Then we headed back to the tents to the Custo Barcelona show. I saw socialite Tinsley Mortimer - who recently guest starred on Gossip Girl - in the front row - and stole a pic.

Tinsley Mortimer at Custo Barcelona

Unfortunately this show was packed to capacity so I was stuck back in standing room only. So my pics aren't as good.

Custo Barcelona Show

Custo Barcelona Show

Custo Barcelona Show

Custo Barcelona Show

After the show we headed to Marquee to a private party thrown by Kerry Cassidy. She's currently filming a reality show for Bravo along with Devorah Rose so you'll probably see more of her soon. Jacob joined me for the party and we got drinks (as worktime was over!) and people watched.

Then we went back to real life and ate Gray's Papaya hotdogs and went to bed. It was a dream day, though exhausting. I don't know how socialites do it. Honestly it's more work than a 9-5 job! :)

That's all to report from the trenches. Today Jacob and I are heading up to New Hampshire with Molly in tow to visit my dad.

Marianne

4 comments:

Stevi said...

I recognize the guy in the Gaultier kilt...but I can't think of his name. I want to say that he is a designer maybe?

We started selling those peeptoe booties last season. I personally think they are unattractive. LOL!

Stevi said...

By the way...you looked FAHBULOUS DAHLING! :)

Anonymous said...

Kilt Boy is "MR. JAY", one of the judges from America's Next Top Model. He directs ALL the photo shoots on that show!

Anonymous said...

You asked who the guy in the kilt was...that's Jay Manuel from America's Next Top Model. He is the creative photography director. :) He's seriously hot!