Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Everything's Coming Up Roses....





Last night Leanna and I headed to Times Square to check out the Tony award winning musical Gypsy with Patty Lupone. It was awesome. Patty sang and acted her heart out and got a standing ovation before the play was even over. The girl who played Gypsy was also great as well - Laura Benaniti, I believe her name was. All in all, a stellar performance by all!

The movie reminded me a lot of Beaches. I wonder if the filmmakers were inspired by it. I could even see Bette Midler doing a mean Mama Rose. I'm interested now in reading the memoir the play was based on.

Next week I'm going behind the scenes of Gypsy for a Better TV story so I'll have more to post then, after I chat with the cast.

But if you get a chance to see it, definitely go for it!

Marianne

3 comments:

Cindy Holby said...

Gypsy was around long before Beaches. It's based on the true story of Gypsy Rose Lee and there was a movie of it out years ago with Ethel Merman as Momma Rose and Natalie Wood as Gypsy. I always watched anything Natalie Wood was in.

I've heard a lot about the play's revival and would love to see it.

TJ Brown said...

Um Marianne? Are you being funny? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107065
Bette Middler already did that part.

I'm really going to feel stupid if you were being funny and I thought you were serious, so if you were just being funny and knew about this made for TV version, don't post this. If you didn't know... Enjoy:)

Mari Mancusi said...

Hah, no I was being serious. Crazy that she did the part. I bet she was great in it. I have to rent that now. :)