Thursday, June 02, 2005

Really Bad Poetry

Oh, so you want the bad poetry, huh? Hmmm. Do I really want to embarass myself further on the web? Post really bad poems about teenage love for all to read?

Sigh. The things I do for you people! I must be a secret masochist.

Okay fine. Here are a couple from high school. But remember - they're really, really bad!!! You will see why I decided to become a fiction writer instead of a poet!! Two things to keep in mind: 1) These were written 15 years ago (!!) and 2) like Adam Sandler in the "Wedding Singer" says before singing his Linda song to Drew Barrymore, I'd been listening to the Cure a lot. A real lot.

Sigh. Okay here we go...


VISIONARY - November 19th 1990

I think that I am just a doll.
I've never been alive at all.
If you're cruel, I'm sure to break
So treat me like glass, for my sake
I always look in the mirror to see
If there's still a face looking back at me.
So far I'm still here - but will it last?
Sometimes I feel I'm made of glass.
I'm not real. I'm not really there.
I'm just a vision in the air.


BLACKNESS OF BLOOD - October 19th, 1990

I sit at my desk on a rainy Thursday
Being so quiet, lest my feelings betray
the hurt that I'm feeling - the knife cut deep
the blackness of blood flows round my feet.
I loved you, I loved you - perhaps I still do
I said one wrong word and you left in the blue.
Every breath I took I thought of you
Even today that statement is true.
But instead of feelings of happiness and joy
It's feelings of death, disintegration and toil
Because when I close my eyes, I see only you
And remember the sweet thngs you would do.
The sky was blue - your heart was mine
But now we're broken in an evil sign.
So now it's raining black blood in my heart.
Is this the end? Is it a new start?
As I walk out my front door
I know I'll never love anyone more
Then I loved you - I'm sorry to say
I'll never be happy, free or okay.


Watching Like a Fly

Watching my old love
As if I were a fly upon the wall.
observing
watching
But participation - there was none.
She came.
She flittered around him like a butterfly
giggling
trying to charm him into being hers
Stealing what once was mine
And I stand here like a fly
helpless
Because I saw his shy grin as he
looked at her
I should be happy for him
for her
life goes on
why couldn't I?
Why did I stand here - watching
like a fly?


SHUDDER! I told you they were terrible!! Now aren't you sorry you asked??? BLEH!!

Marianne

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. That took me right back to my teenage years. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Bless you for posting them though, there's no way in the world I'd post the "songs" I wrote. Gah.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even keep the booklet with my teenage poetry }:)

Mari Mancusi said...

Yes. I clearly have no shame! :)It's kind of therapeutic in a way though. Probably save me big bucks in shrink bills down the road.

For my next trick, I think I might have to post excerpts of love letters from high school boyfriends...Hmmm. :)

Mar

Anonymous said...

Oh, Marianne! How touching! No, seriously, I'm weeping profusely. Everyone in the cafe is looking at me. *sniff* The angsty beauty of it all. I...I...I can't go on. I'm verklempt.

TJ Brown said...

Snort. Wheeze. Squeak.

Ahem sorry... I am just so touched. (bursting into raucous laghter) I think I might have written the exact same poetry. Hugs to your angsty teenage self!
Teri