Friday, June 17, 2005

Dresses, Plots, and Avalon

The National RWA conference in Reno will be here in a little over a month. And you know what that means...SHOPPING! Oh yeah, baby! Any excuse to buy new clothes, right??

And I'm pleased to announce that I found the perfect dress. It's so cool looking - very unique. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether I'll wear it to the RITA/Golden Heart dinner or the publisher parties on Friday night. Anyway - take a look and let me know what you think:


Isn't it pretty? I know it's unconventional, but then - so am I - so it works in that respect. :)

In other news, my editor and I hashed out a pretty cool plot for my 1920s book - which, I must admit, I was struggling with a bit. My strength is in creating cool concepts and writing, you see, but I'm lousy at plotting. Usually when I start a new book I talk it through with friends or my photographers at work while we're driving to shoots. I almost think non-writers are better with plots than some of us writers are. (Especially those who watch a lot of movies.) I am hoping I will be able to exercise my plotting muscle to the point where it works on its own soon. But in the meantime, I've now got an awesome story to write and I'm truly grateful that my editor took the time to brainstorm with me on it - especially when I consider how busy he must be.

Anyway, when not writing, I've been watching the Mists of Avalon miniseries on DVD. It's actually quite good so far. I was expecting it to be terrible as it's my favorite book in the entire world and you know how it is when you watch an adaption of a book you love. By the way, if you haven't read it - I highly suggest it. For those of you who don't know, it's basically a feminist retelling of the King Arthur story. The writing is beautiful and the story fascinatingly different than the traditional. Morgan Le Fay plays the heroine of the book instead of her usual villianess role and you feel really bad at all that befalls her. So go to the bookstore now - do not pass go. It's worth the trip.

Time to get ready for work. TGIF everyone!
Marianne

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful dress :) I still have that miniseries on tape.

Anonymous said...

Lovely dress. And I LOVED The Mists of Avalon too. There are sequels aren't there? Have you read those?

Re plotting: same for me. I'll try brainstorming with non-writers too, thanks!

ParkAvePirate said...

Snazzy dress! Now, can you find me one for my friend's wedding tomorrow? I guess I will be skipping lunch in order to shop.
:o)

J

Mari Mancusi said...

Yes there are sequels to the Mists of Avalon. I've read them all! But my favorite other Marion Zimmer Bradley book is called "Fall of Atlantis" which is not related to the Avalon series (Not to be confused iwth the newly released Ancestors of Avalon which was about Atlantis also but mostly written by a friend of Bradley's after she died.)

Anonymous said...

Hot Dress! - Dia

Anonymous said...

It's a great dress!

serena said...

I can't see the dress!! WAHHHH!