Thursday, March 31, 2005

More than Bon Bons and Manicures

If you read the comments section of my previous post, you'll see I was totally taken to task on my description of quitting the day job and working from home. I had described a life of bon bon eating, pajamas and manicures. In other words, everyone's stereotypical work-at-home fantasy. :-) (Okay, not everyone's, but definitely mine!!)

But I think we all know that this is not an accurate portrayal of working from home. In fact, it's really hard work. You have to be self-motivated to get up every morning. Sit down at the computer and stay there and work. You have to ignore distractions like tv and internet surfing and housework even and get real work done. Your friends will call, thinking - hey she's just sitting home eating bon bons! - and interrupt your train of thought. You have to get your own health insurance ($$!!) and you don't get paid sick leave or vacations. If you run out for a manicure it's not on company time and you do not get paid for slacking.

Oh, and the bon bons are packed with calories. :-)

At the same time, I can see so many rewards of working from home. You get to be your own boss. No commute. You can set your own hours. You can choose your own projects. etc. etc.

Anyhow, all I'm saying is I didn't mean to be condescending and snarky to those who choose this type of work. I admire you for it!! All I was trying to say was there are pros and cons to each lifestyle. But yes, I should have described the real pro's of working from home rather than the fantasy ones! :-)

Marianne

No comments: