Tuesday, March 22, 2005

GCC: The Boyfriend List

Hi all,

Today we have another fine author to introduce you to as part of the Girlfriend Cyber Circuit. E. Lockhart is the author of "The Boyfriend List" - probably the best Young Adult novel I've read this year! I absolutely adored this book.

Here's what the cover looks like: v. cute, don't you think? I love the frog!



And here's the blurb:

Ruby Oliver is fifteen and has a shrink. She knows it's unusual, but give her a break -- she's had a rough ten days. In the past ten days she:

-lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
-lost her best friend (Kim)
-lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
-did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
-did something advanced with a boy (#15)
-had an argument with a boy (#14)
-drank her first beer (someone handed it to her)
-got caught by her mom (ag!)
-had a panic attack (scary)
-lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
-failed a math test (she'll make it up)
-hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
-became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
-had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the boys' !?!)

But don't worry-- Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.
----

I'm a YA author myself and I've read tons of the genre. Some books are awful. They're condescending and talk down to the reader or are just downright boring. I've become extremely judgemental and picky about my YA nowadays. So that said, I read "The Boyfriend List" last week in preparation for this blog entry and I was blown away! It's soo extremely good! It's one of those young adult books that an "old" adult could really get into as well. It's very well written for one thing - and it never once talks down to the target audience. And she does this thing with footnotes that is incredibly clever and cool. I just wish I'd thought of it myself!! :-) And the whole concept of the "list" is very neat.

You'll also love the main character. She's just so honest and real... someone you'd totally want to be friends with. (As long as she stays well away from your boyfriend, LOL) My favorite boy on the list was Finn, btw. (It'll make sense when you read it.)

I honestly didn't want this book to end and I'm psyched there's a sequel in 2006. This is one YA author to watch.

I've been away, as you know, so I didn't have a chance to interview Emily about her book. I'm going to send her a few questions today to see if she has time to answer them. But in the meantime- today is the day that "The Boyfriend List" hits stores - and I highly recommend you run out and get it. Your teens will like it, and you will too!

No comments: