Friday, November 07, 2008

Reality Killed the Video Star

So remember when MTV actually aired videos? Wayyyy back in the day. When I was young and innocent and my mother wouldn't let me watch. In fact, once I was old enough to make my own television choices from the comfort of home (and wasn't foced to head to a friend's house to get my fill of those santanic, misagonistic televised vingettes) they stopped showing videos! Instead - they had shows! Game shows, reality shows, documentaries - stuff that loosely had to do with music - but very little actual music. And when they did play music, they only had time to get through the Top 40. My music - alternative, new wave, goth - was relegated to a very late night show they called 120 Minutes. And you never knew - staying up late and praying to the video gods - if they'd play the one you wanted them to.

But now The Cure, The Smiths, New Order and all my obscure favorites are on-demand. MTV has started a new website - www.mtvmusic.com - where you can find ANY VIDEO EVER MADE in miliseconds.

What a world we live in! The masses can rise up once again and shout their passionate battlecry, "I WANT MY MTV" without being subjected to Road Rules or The Hills ever again.

And our late night, living room Dance Party USA now no longer requires the crappy quality of YouTube.

Leanna, this one's for you.




1 comment:

Leanna Renee Hieber said...

Yes, yes and YES! So bad it's crazy good. I truly love this song. Can't wait to see what else gets plucked from the vaults.