Thursday, October 02, 2008

Gypsy Behind the Scenes report

I'm a bit behind on my blogging this week - been busy!!

On Tuesday night I filmed my behind-the-scenes at Gypsy segment for Better TV. We were taken around the set by Leigh Anne Larkin, who plays Dainty June in the show.
She's great in the play and great in real life - really friendly and down to Earth! She did a great job showing us around the set and introducing us to everyone.

Here she is in the show...




And yes, we got to go in the dressing room of the show's star, Patti Lupone. She was extremely charming and really funny, too. I think everyone in the cast is in awe of working with such a Broadway legend.





Fun fact about Patti? She has an Elvis bust in her dressing room. :)

We also interviewed the kids who play Baby June and Baby Louise. So well spoken - they were almost like little adults. They're really talented too - I think they'll go far.

One thing I noticed about Broadway? There's no glamour. These people work their butts off six days a week - often doing two shows a day. They aren't getting rich and unless you're a legend like Patti (or once won American Idol), you're not going to be stopped on the street by fans. The dressing rooms in these old theaters are tiny and the backstage area small.

Still, these amazing, talented actors and actresses are making a living, doing what they love and entertaining the rest of us - and that, at the end of the day, is what's important.

That's about all I have to relate. I'll post the finished segment once it airs on the show.

Marianne

1 comment:

Leanna Renee Hieber said...

What a great show! Can't wait to see the segment. Yeah, moving to New York adjusted my small town idea that Broadway was really glamorous. Hard work in small spaces. :)