Thursday, November 05, 2009

Moo!!!

As a features producer, I get a lot of variety in my job. From fashion to fitness, celebs to...cows???

Yup, on Tuesday I headed out to Connecticut to do a story about a family dairy farm, part of the Cabot cheese co-op that has been milking cows and producing milk since 1720! In fact, the family still has the deed awarded to them from King George!


We watched them being milked:

photo.jpg

And then visited them in their pens. Some were camera shy, while others were very friendly!

photo.jpg

This cow below was called Dallas, after the Dallas cowboys!

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

So then, as we were shooting, we learned a cow was about to calf! We hurried over to watch it happen. So fascinating to watch a birth! I didn't want to post any TOO graphic pics, but I had to post this one of the calf coming out of the birth canal. Cause it was amazing too see!

photo.jpg

After the calf was born, his mother started licking him clean.

photo.jpg

After we watched the amazing birth, we visited all the other calfs in their nursery.

photo.jpg

They were sooo cute!

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

My photographer Mike and I drove home, snacking on Cabot cheese. It was a lot of fun - but I couldn't wait to wash the manure smell off of me!

And that was my day on the farm!!

Marianne

1 comment:

Tez Miller said...

Aw, you have bovine friends :-)