Sunday, July 24, 2005

Live from Little Sparrow's...it's Princess!

Well I didn't know if I would have a chance to blog while I was in California, but thanks to Liz Maverick's mom's computer I'm online and ready to chat. :)

I arrived in San Francisco on Friday morning around 10am PST. That means I woke up at 5am eastern time to get to the airport. To further my exhaustion, I spent the night before at my friend Mary's house and there was wine involved in the sleep over and only about 4 hours of actual sleep. Ugh. Then there was a ticket fiasco in Logan which ended up reducing me to tears and shelling out an extra $100 before I could board the plane. Long story - too boring to tell, but suffice to say this is the 2nd flight in a row that I've taken that's involved tears and money. I effing hate airlines.

Anyway I tried to relax and sleep on the plane and it wasn't that bad. Once in San Fran my friend Brian Fulmore picked me up at the airport and I spent the day wandering around San Fran with him shopping and sightseeing. Was very fun. Then at night he and his boyfriend Oscar and our friends Aaron and Nina went out to dinner at yummy Asian fusion type place in Haight Ashbury. (sp?) I was so exhausted though with the three hour time difference, but it was very fun all the same. Brian's been one of my best friends since high school and I hadn't seen him in a year and a half so I was happy to have a chance to hang out.

The next day, Saturday, Brian and Oscar dropped me off at Liz Maverick's parents' house and Liz and I drove out to Newark, California where we did a booksigning with the fabulous Cherry Adair and Jasmine Haynes. The bookstore we did the signing at was called Book End and was wonderful and very romance friendly! If you're ever in the area I highly recommend you stop by! They had tons of new and used books.

Then today we went and signed stock at Borders and then wrote in the cafe for a good portion of the day. Liz is much more dedicated than I am - she barely got up from her seat! I, on the other hand, found myself distracted by all San Fran has to offer - especially the beautiful, non humid weather that is so perfect to walk around in. But don't get me wrong - I did do some writing. It's a different experience working in a public place since I do most of my writing from home normally. I can't decide if I like it or not...

I'm sure you'll be eager to know that Liz lived up to her "Little Sparrow" reputation by attracting the attention of some freak guy as we were about to leave. I figured out her problem, actually. She was nice enough to offer the guy our table (it was packed) and thus gave him an open invitation to pry into every aspect of her life. Lesson to Liz: if you just are selifsh, antisocial and mean like me and send out evil glare rays at anyone who dares glance in your direction, you get less of that. Sure, you may feel a little guilty at first, but it saves you a lot of time, aggrivation and stupid nicknames.

Anyway - tomorrow we are going to sign more books and get some more writing done. Then Tuesday we're road tripping it to Reno where I'm sure I'll see a lot of you. Should be a lot of fun and I can't wait to see all my writer friends that I haven't seen all year! Oh and I get to wear a pink first sale ribbon! Yay! :)

Marianne

No comments: