Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wedding Planning

A funny thing happens when you get engaged. Suddenly you're thrown into planning the biggest party of your life, i.e. your wedding. Which is awesome, but kind of daunting at the same time. Especially since we're having the wedding in Kingsland, Texas, where Jacob's parents have their gorgeous lake house. When I saw the house for the first time two summers ago, I knew then and there if we ended up getting married, I wanted that to be the spot.

The good thing is Jacob's mother has been amazingly great about helping us with all the details that have to do with holding a wedding there. (Tent, tables, chairs, linens, place settings, dance floor, food, cocktails - there's so much!) I'm very lucky to be getting such a fab person as my future mother-in-law and I'm immensely grateful for her help.

So a few of the details we've decided so far. We're going to hopefully have the ceremony itself down by the lake outside, then the reception in a tent near the house. (Closer to bathrooms and electricity and such.) The dress will be garden party casual - since it'll likely be high seventies, low eighties. I'm all about having guests be comfortable. For dinner we're going to have a combo, hopefully, of tex-mex food and bbq. What else WOULD you have for a Texas wedding? :)

I found a DJ that I like - hopefully we can book them. It's a husband/wife team from Austin that seems indy and cool and not cheesy. (I have a great fear of a cheesy DJ!)

What I have NOT done is gone to look for a dress yet. Mainly cause it's daunting and also expensive! New York has to charge a real surcharge on gowns to pay the rent on their expensive salons. Maybe I'll rent a car and drive to shops in Jersey instead. I don't know. I have been looking at photos though and kind of know the styles I want. Of course, some of what I like wouldn't work in an outdoor wedding and agan I want to be comfortable rather than overdressed. So I'm thinking something classic, but simple. Like these:











Anyway, we'll see what they look like me in real life. :)

That's about all I've got so far. But stay tuned. I'm sure you'll hear a lot in the coming months. After all, April really isn't that far away!

Marianne

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww...you are too sweet!
Gorgeous dresses!
I'm having a blast, just dreaming about it.