Sunday, March 19, 2006

Happy St. Patrick's Day (mmmm sushi!)

As most of you probably know, Boston has a huge Irish population. Some actually from the country itself and others who fancy themselves to be Irish since their great-great-great grandmother's cousin's babysitter's uncle was rumored to be from the Emerald Isle. So when St. Paddy's Day rolls around, it's a huge deal.

So...being a resident of said community, one would think I spent Friday evening downing pints of a Guiness in some dive pub in Southie. Sadly (or maybe not so sadly) you'd be very wrong.

Cause you see, however charming I think Ireland is, I find drunk frat boys screaming "Yankees Suck!!!" and "Wicked Pissa" to be far less appealing. In a way, St. Paddy's Day, like New Year's Eve, is what one might call ametuer night. It's crowded. It's loud. People drink too much and then throw up and get into fights. Once, that might haev sounded like a grand night out. Today, that sounds like a nightmare.

So...my friends and I decided to do the most anti-Irish thing on the planet this St. Patrick's Day. We went to a brand new sushi place in the Back Bay called Douza. The guy who opened it used to work at my fave sushi place in the entire universe -Fugakyu - and he sold his shares and opened up this new place. Well, I can't recommend it high enough. The sushi was absolutely delicious. The wine menu offered many great bottles. Even the bartender was awesome. In short, I couldn't think of a more delicious way to spend my St. Patrick's Day. I may have to make this a tradition.

Anyway - I'm off to my RWA meeting. Have to go congratulate my former critique partner Marley Gibson who just sold a 4 book YA series this week!! Amazing, huh?

Mar

1 comment:

Kristen Painter said...

Mmmm...sushi. Love it. Since I'm not one tiny bit Irish, I think your way of celebrating St. Pat's was wicked pi--no, I'm not gonna go there.

Sounds delish!