Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Random Thoughts

I don't know about all of you (maybe it's just the news junkie in me), but I am fascinated by the NYC transit strike. The fact that one group of people can get together and shut down one of the world's largest cities just like that is mindboggling. I feel bad for all the regular Joes caught in the crossfire of union negotations. The ones who can't get to work. Or can't get to the airport to go home for the holidays. It's a lousy time a year for this to happen. I hope everything gets worked out soon. :( Hang in there New York!

In other news, I cannot believe Christmas is on Sunday. I feel so unprepared. I know there used to be a day, when I was a kid, where it seemed Christmas would never come. I waited and waited and waited. Now it seems like just yesterday was 4th of July! How did it come so quickly? Anyway, I'm going to go to the Boston Pops concert on Thursday night and then Friday we have a holiday party in the North End. Saturday and Sunday I'll spend at my dad's, celebrating the holiday. Then go snowboarding on Monday. So it's going to be a busy weekend.

However, New Years may be quieter. Activity Director Mary has been slacking on her duties. As of today there is still no NYE plan in place!! We're going to end up at Denny's or something!! Actually, saying Mary is slacking is overstating things. We're all trying to find a place to go - but nothing sounds remotely interesting. Every place is either 1) too expensive. 2) too far (you can't get a cab on NYE to save your life in Boston) or 3) too stupid and lame.

Sigh.

Marianne

6 comments:

K.A.S. said...

Living in Florida never sounded so good... if I absolutely had to walk somewhere, at least it won't be 12 degrees with freezing rain!

The Jaunty Joker said...

Here are some pictures from the strike today.

Should have some more pix up in the next day or two as I have to walk 5 miles into Brooklyn from Manhattan to go to work. A reverse commute (I work in B'klyn at night as a poker dealer).

Thanks for your thoughts. This sucks. Fascinating to be sure, but sucks.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Thanks, Marianne. I've walked over 300 blocks in the past two days, to and from work. FLorida is looking pretty good to me right now.

The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

I heard on the news this morning that they supposedly aren't allowing cars into the city that have less than four passengers in them. With everything so spread apart in the city I don't envy all of you sudden walkers over there. Seattle's current downpours aren't sounding too bad right now. At least I still have my bus to and from the city. Sending positive thoughts to all of you New Yorkers out there!

Marianne, the Boston Pops event should be just the thing to put you in the holiday spirit. Sounds fun! And don't feel bad about NYE. I'll be at my parent's mountain vacation home with them, so it will definitely be a low key night. ;-)

Christina

Anonymous said...

test

Anonymous said...

When will you have time to play WoW?