Sunday, July 09, 2006

ITALIA!

Well they're dancing in the streets where I live in the North End of Boston (Little Italy) this afternoon! A nailbiting penalty shot finish had Italy beat out France for the 2006 World Cup. Traffic was blocked off on Hanover Street and people overflowed out of bars and restaurants--cheering and singing and dancing and waving the Italian flag. I've never seen anything like it! It was great - so much energy and patriotism! It made me proud to be Italian.

I grew to love soccer/football while married to my ex who is from England. He believes there is nothing better in the world than soccer and can't understand how America isn't into it like the rest of the world. My cynical thoughts are it's because you can't throw in advertisements every 5 seconds in a soccer match like you can with American football. But in any case, it's become one of my favorite sports. I called him after the match and he was saying over 1 billion people watched the game. Incredible.

It may be too loud to sleep tonight- I'm sure the celebrating will go on til the wee hours of the morning--but I don't mind. This is a world event and I'm happy to be a tiny part of it.

Marianne

2 comments:

Sara Hantz said...

I watched it in NZ - kick off 6am!!! OMG nailbiting stuff at the end. And Zidane????? What was he on......

WTG Italy.

The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Viva la Italia is right!! :-) Being 1/2 Italian, myself, I feel the pride even though I didn't follow the World Cup too closely this year. I can just picture your description of Hanover Street's celebrations after having roamed the streets of the North End quite thoroughly during my first trip to Boston in May. That would have been so much fun to be a part of!

Christina Arbini